Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Apple Chips

I had eaten banana chips, potato chips, bitter gourd chips etc. which are very easily available anywhere in India. But my first visit in US made me realize that there could be more options to chips with kale chips, beetroot chips and chips made with fruits too. And they really taste good to you in the form of chips, even though you might hate it as a veggie or fruit.









Last fall, while I was baking some pumpkin goodies, the smell of cinnamon from the freshly baked pumpkin bread made me think of the apple chips with cinnamon, I had some time back. Those were store bought. I knew we could easily make it at home but I had never tried or bothered to try. But now as a mother, I always prefer or try to make homemade goodies than go with the convenience of having store bought snacks. And since my lil one gets bored with same snack options, I keep trying different things. So I gave these chips a try. I didn't have to store it because they just vanished in no time. Not only lil J, but all of us liked it.




These are pretty simple to make except the long baking time. I would suggest go for large batches because they shrink a lot after baking, with the loss of moisture/water content in it.


Ingredients

  1. 3 apples, thinly sliced
  2. Cinnamon powder to sprinkle on the chips
Method
  • Preheat the oven to 225 F.
  • Line baking trays with parchment paper.
  • Spread out the sliced apples on the baking trays. Sprinkle the cinnamon powder on the apple slices. Bake it in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours. 
  • Flip the slices and continue to cook for about an hour more or unless the slices look crisp. 
Tips
  1. Slicing the apples with equal thickness would ensure even cooking of the chips.
  2. The cooking time would depend upon the thickness of the slices. Make sure you slice the apples thin to get it nice and crisp.
  3. Bake it untill crisp and having lost the moisture content in them. Store it in air tight container only when they have completely cooled. 



7 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right, when it comes to kids Moms always think of homemade :). I too started experimenting with food like that..lol. Apple chips with a dash of cinnamon is pure bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it. I don't like to much on a whole apple. But this one is too good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super healthy and a delicious snack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely crispy ones,looks addictive as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is interesting... never heard of apple chips...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something new to me,never heard of apple chips...Look good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks real crisp, and the natural star shape in the middle gives it a special appeal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for paying us a visit :). If you happen to have tried any of the recipes posted here, please do leave a comment that could serve as a review for other fellow visitors of Palaharam.

Also, do feel free to send in your suggestions that could help us improve and serve you better using the 'Contact Us' form.

Blogging tips