Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Ragi Puttu

I must admit that I had not tried ragi before Jordan. My mom says, she has tried her best to feed me ragi, when I was a kid but I used to refuse. When I started giving solid food to Jordan, I had to give him ragi because every other person whom I asked of options, would start with ragi. Now when you give a food to the baby, it's like the presidents assistant tasting it before it is being tasted by the president himself. So I got to taste it too before Jordan. And I must say that I liked it. And then I started hunting for ragi recipes and to my surprise there were so many interesting recipes. One among them is this puttu. 









Jacob doesn't like it. I usually say that is because of his mental block of considering it to be baby food. But his dislike for ragi puttu has never stopped me from making it. When he has the normal rice puttu, mama and Jordan enjoy this ragi puttu . It's awesome. You should try it. 





Ingredients
  1. 1 cup of ragi flour
  2. 1 cup of puttu podi/ rice flour
  3. 6 tbsp of shredded coconut
  4. 1/2 cup of Water
  5. Salt as required
Method

  • In a bowl, mix the ragi flour, rice flour, 4 spoons of shredded coconut and salt until all the ingredients get distributed evenly.
  • Now sprinkle the water little by little into the flour while you mix the flour and rub it in between your palms, to avoid lumps and to evenly distribute the water and get the mix moist. Cover and leave it aside for 10 minutes. 
  • Check if the puttu mix has become dry after 10 minutes. If so, sprinkle some water to moisten  it.
  • Get the puttu maker ready by making the water boil in the bottom portion of the puttu maker(puttu kodam) or pressure cooker. Meanwhile, drop in a layer of coconut to the bottom of the puttu maker and top it with the puttu mixture. Place it on the puttu kodam and steam it on medium heat for about 8-10 minutes. Remove it from the heat and transfer it on to a plate.
  • Serve it hot with some kadala curry or chicken curry or beef curry or bananas. 
Tips

  1. The idea is to get the  flour moist. Do not add more water at a time. Doing it slowly is the key to get the perfect moist puttu powder. 
  2. I have added puttu podi or rice flour to the mix. You could make it with ragi flour alone. My family likes it this way(mellowing down the taste of ragi).



5 comments:

  1. I too sneak in Ragi d same way.. easy way to make kids eat ragi,looks healthy n yum ..me too have in drafts, will post sometime !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mothers are good at sneaking things that kids hate, into their food :).. Thanks

      Delete
  2. My kids love raagi puttu since it looks like chocolate to them... hehe... Lovely pictures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall introduce that thought in Jordan when he starts to loose interest in ragi :D ... Thanks Rafee

      Delete
  3. My mil tried to do this to my son and he didn't have more than a single mouth..but he loves normal puttu.. n thankfully he loves ragi kurukku so I try to make him eat ragi that way.. yummy looking pics,. I will try to make this for me when I make puttu next time as my hubby too will not eat it 😆

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for paying us a visit :). If you happen to have tried any of the recipes posted here, please do leave a comment that could serve as a review for other fellow visitors of Palaharam.

Also, do feel free to send in your suggestions that could help us improve and serve you better using the 'Contact Us' form.

Blogging tips